Sunday, February 8, 2009

LT199: Watchmen 3

This post is the third and last the review of the book, Watchmen.


LOST RELATED ITEMS

An island full of idealistic people keeps getting mentioned

Buddha

People acting desperate are guessed to be related to astrological events. One of the people stuck on the island gets an idea to build a raft

A couple goes by Clare and Dominique (which is Charlie’ real life name)

Tattoos

Egyptian theme including death being a spiritual journey

Sharks and glass eyes

Record albums

There is a Charlie

A comic book entitled, “Tales of the Black Freighter”

Board layout of connections between people with a sickness

There is a Rosa – either Rose if you wish or Rosa Tabula

A secret company named “Dimensional Developments” with several subsidiaries like “Pyramid Deliveries” and “Institute for Extraspatial Studies”

There is a Michael

A line that reads “valley of the shadow”

Another line mentions “Dues Ex Machina”

Snow globes

Slow time

Bernard


PREDESTINATION VERSUS FREEWILL

“Watchmen” really jumps into this subject and our Dr. Manhattan is a strong believer in predestination. He is involved in a debate with a proponent of freewill. Dr. Manhattan attempts to explain it, “We’re all puppets. I’m just a puppet who can see the strings.”


QUOTES

“Tyger, Tyger
Burning bright,
In the forests
Of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?”

- William Blake


**

“Battle not with monsters,
lest ye become a monster.
And if you gaze into the abyss,
The abyss gazes also into you.”

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzche

**

“I am a brother to dragons,
and a companion to owls.
My skin is black upon me,
and my bones are burned with heat.”

- Job 30:29-30

**

“As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being.”

- C.G. Jung


CONCLUSION

I’ve finished the book and the ending does explain a lot about LOST. Maybe too much. The movie is going to hit the theaters in a couple of months…prior to the final season of LOST…and then everyone will know. Yes, I’m convinced that the Watchmen book has just provided a sneak peek to the end game on LOST.

If your curiosity is great, then you will read the book yourself. And I have a feeling that once you have done that, you will agree with my decision that it should not be shared. Everyone must experience it for themselves.

How is that for a vague conclusion?

Like the show, a song is coming to mind and I’ll close my review of the Watchmen book with those lyrics (and the only hint you'll get):

All the same, we take our chances,

Laughed at by Time, tricked by Circumstances

Plus ca change. Plus c'est la meme chose,

The more that things change, the more they stay the same.
- Rush


KC



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben says:
So are you thinking that the producers of Lost had used this comic book to plan out the show? If so, I've lost much respect for the writers.
AND, lol, I don't think that's Dave:P.

Now, to your past notes that I've been neglecting...Sorry it's a bit long, but I wanted to comment on everything :) :
When I first considered whether it was 108 min betw each jump, I doubted it. They would have figured that out by now, at least Daniel the genius would have. But maybe it is, who knows.

Sayid finds Kate's address, maybe he was supposed to stop off at her place next.
But who sent the guy? He didn't want to kill Sayid, he was using tranqs. Ben wouldn't have a reason to attack him, Sayid's still on his team...Sayid lied to Hurley not to trust Ben was so Hurley would trust Sayid...
Who else could have sent him? Maybe he was being tracked by one of his recent victims...

LoL-I still think they're abusing the numbers!

I was thinking the same about what happened to Sun's baby...Maybe she left it with a babysitter in Korea, and took Aaron because people are trying to take him, not Sun's baby.
When they say they need everyone in order to get back to the island, does that include Sun's baby?

I TOTALLY AGREE with Juliet's odd change of character. Crash course in Latin? Don't forget her recent awesome martial art skills! Something must have happened, and they've got to show it!

Time Warping:
Hmm, there's another question to this, would they have control over their warps? When did they start warping? Where has harper been all this time? Maybe she's been hiding out on the island, waits till the flashing starts, and in one of her flashes she runs into Juliet, who she tells to kill Dan, etc, etc. But I don't think Jacob is going along the same flashes, he'd need to be reachable at Ben's demand, and move forward in time so he knows Ben and can help him best.

Nice catch on Littleton, I'll admit I didn't think of it like that.

NOSE BLEEDS:
Okay, that really bugged me, Charlotte gets all these nose bleeds, goes into shock, and then the next flash she seems perfect, except now Miles gets a nose bleed.
Could Charlotte be daughter to Charles? Half-sister to Juliet? That'd be cool.

I'd like to take a moment to stretch out my ego a bit, point out that in an earlier post I mentioned that I'd bet we'll see the Losties running into a younger Rousseau during these flashes. :)

Last thoughts...how is it that the canoe went into the flash with the Losties? Why wasn't sawyer the one to shoot back, and why'd they take so long to respond? Will we get to see what made Rousseau crazy in these flashes? Who sent that assassin and how did he find Sayid?

That's all I can remember from Wednesday's show.

Signing off,
BEN